[I've known Rhinebeck's Terry Gipson for a while-- he's a great guy; earlier today I sent him this letter below asking him to sign on to support the ten common-sense progressive solutions below for NYS; already I've gotten some preliminarily positive feedback from him on these-- feel free to follow up with your own letters to him on this-- at TerryGipsonNY@gmail.com!...(Terry is currently a Rhinebeck Village Boardmember and already a declared Dem candidate to run for the state Senate for the 41st district in election next year)...Joel]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
From: Joel Tyner
Subject: Terry-- let's push for these ten common-sense progressive ways to make NYS better!...
Date: Apr 21, 2011
On behalf of the 225 members of my Dutchess Progressive group on Facebook, I ask that you promote in your run for the state legislature these ten long-time progressive solutions to NY's problems (I'm now finishing up my fourth term in office as county legislator in a district that had been considered conservative GOP for decades; have run for state legislature four times myself; need your feedback on these ten core issues; we can't afford any more GOP-lite Dems-- Cuomo and Obama have capitulated far too much to tea party already!):
[for more re: Dutchess Progressive see: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/group.php?gid=151387038233489 ]
1. Millionaires tax to stop budget cuts, layoffs; Marist/YNN, Siena, Quinnipiac, Hart polls show vast majority of New Yorkers for this.
[see: http://www.capitaltonight.com/2011/02/groups-band-together-to-push-millionaires-tax/ ; http://www.ABetterChoiceforNY.org ;
http://www.hungeractionnys.org/Poeple%20SOS%20release%202011.pdf ; http://www.FiscalPolicy.org ;
http://www.newyorker.com/talk/financial/2010/08/16/100816ta_talk_surowiecki -- even most GOP for taxing rich;
2. Enact $10/hour minimum wage Obama promised us two years ago-- to match real value it had in 1968 (inflation).
Fact: 67% of Americans support support raising the minimum wage to $10/hour to end the recession (poll last fall on this).
[see: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/10/06/americans-minimum-wage-poll_n_752921.html ]
3. Enact state-level single-payer health care system in NY; save $20 billion/year (VT moving this way).
[see: http://www.SinglePayerNewYork.org ; http://www.democracynow.org/2011/1/21/vermont_governor_peter_shumlin_moves_to ]
Fact: A 2009 NYTimes/CBS News poll and 16 other polls since 2003 prove that the vast majority of Americans support expanding Medicare to cover all of us through a single-payer health care system; CNN, AP-Yahoo, Quinnipiac, Washington Post/ABC, too.
[see: http://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-payer_health_care ]
4. Initiate a state-owned bank for New York State as in North Dakota (as Michael Moore has recommended).
[see: http://motherjones.com/mojo/2009/03/how-nation%E2%80%99s-only-state-owned-bank-became-envy-wall-street ]
5. Ban fracking, shut down Indian Point, move away from coal/oil-- truly incentivize solar, geothermal, energy efficiency, wind now.
[see: http://dutchessdemocracy.blogspot.com/2011/04/earth-day-rally-for-clean-energy-and.html ; http://www.NYSEIA.org ;
http://dutchessdemocracy.blogspot.com/2011/04/ulster-co-leg-unanimously-passed.html ; http://www.LIGreenHomes.com ;
http://www.petitiononline.com/pacehere ; http://www.dutchessdemocracy.blogspot.com/2009/03/our-bright-idea-growin-brighter-and.html ;
6. 85% recycling goal for NYS by 2020-- as Clearwater, Sierra Club, NYPIRG, EANY, and Citizens Environmental Coalition agree.
[see: http://www.cectoxic.org/New_Yorkers_for_Zero_Waste_Platform.pdf ; http://www.petitiononline.com/zeroyes ]
7. Truly reform criminal justice system to save tax dollars with comprehensive system of re-entry-- reducing recidivism.
[see: http://www.Vera.org ; http://www.JobsNotJails.weebly.com ; http://www.PetitionOnline.com/ATIs ]
8. Clean Money Clean Elections campaign finance reform to clean up Albany; 2000 Zogby poll found 70% of New Yorkers for this.
[see: http://citizenactionny.org/category/archive/reports/public-financing-reports ]
9. Pass legislation in Albany to make it clear-- Supreme Court wrong; corporations aren't people; amend U.S. Constitution.
Fact: 80% Americans oppose odious Supreme Court ruling last year equating corporations w/people.
[see: http://blogs.abcnews.com/thenumbers/2010/02/in-supreme-court-ruling-on-campaign-finance-the-public-dissents.html ; http://www.freespeechforpeople.org/node/75 ]
10. Bring back New York State's National Guard troops from Afghanistan and Iraq without delay.
Fact: A Gallup poll this Feb. found 72% of Americans opposed to war in Afghanistan; CNN, Rasmussen polls corroborate this.
[see: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/02/08/afghanistan-withdrawal-poll-72-percent_n_820341.html ;
http://www.CitiesforPeace.org ; http://www.DutchessPeace.org ; http://www.PeaceAction.org ; http://www.WinWithoutWar.org ]
So-- please let us know your thoughts on these ten common-sense, progressive solutions as soon as you can, k?...thx...
[...would be great if we could work together to promote as many of these as possible...]
[also see: http://www.PetitionOnline.com/MARRIAGE ; http://www.PetitionOnline.com/StopLyme -- hope you agree with those two too!]